Around here, this is another nail in the z/OS coffin. My manager is trying
to get price reductions from our current software vendors. His plea is
"give us an execute-only, no-support contract at a reduced price".
Basically we are being "stabilized" at our current levels. IT management
has been told, unconditionally, to reduce the budget. _Whatever it takes_!
If we can't do it any other way, more layoffs _will_ be the answer. We have
a bare minimum staff already.

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Joel C. Ewing <jcew...@acm.org> wrote:

> On 09/09/2013 10:08 AM, David Andrews wrote:
> > I see that in January the price for COBOL V3 and V4 will be raised to
> > equal V5.  So there's one reason not to upgrade that no longer exists.
> >
> Just a radical thought...
> From users' standpoint IBM could have achieved an even better impetus
> for migration by making V5 cheaper than V3 and V4, to compensate for
> installation migration costs and the likelihood that in some shops
> higher compile costs during program development will exceed
> execution-time savings from better object code optimization.
>

> --
> Joel C. Ewing,    Bentonville, AR       jcew...@acm.org

As of next week, passwords will be entered in Morse code.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown