ba...@mxg.com (Barry Merrill) writes:
> You have not lived until you have used a Texas Instruments Silent 700
> at 300 baud to watch a SAS PROC PLOT, when you can see each and every
> dot being laid down, and definitely not left to right nor top to
> bottom, and not speedily.  That was my TSO access from home in 1976.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013l.html#20 Teletypewriter Model 33

other trivia about clone controller ... int early tests data transferred
to 360 memory was all garbage ... turned out we overlooked that ibm
controller line-scanner convention was leading bit went into low-order
bit position in byte ... reversing the order of bits in each byte
... with mainframe translate tables handling the ascii<->ebcdic bit
reversed byte convention (had initially transferred straight ascii
rather than bit reversed ascii).

i got online 2741 at home starting in Mar1970 ... which was replaced
with 300 baud CDI Miniterm the summer of 1977 (very similar to TI silent
700)
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=636

old picture of desktop
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/miniterm2.jpg
and
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/miniterm.jpg

the above also shows compact microfiche veiwer and a company business
tieline. there was a microfiche printer that standard output could be
routed to and get a couple hr delivery.

miniterm was followed by IBM 3101 "glass teletype" (initially 1200 baud)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/3101a.jpg
and
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/3101b.jpg

before getting ibm/pc
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/homepc.jpg

3101 was code-named topaz before announce ... some old posts mentioning
topaz
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006y.html#0 Why so little parallelism?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007e.html#15 The Genealogy of the IBM PC
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007h.html#39 sizeof() was: The Perfect Computer -