john.archie.mck...@gmail.com (John McKown) writes:
> I used keypunches in college. I then graduated to a hardcopy terminal, but
> not a KSR-33 or ASR-33. The school had some really nice DECWriters for the
> non-IBM DEC System 20. And 2741s for the IBM. I adored the 2741s, which
> were basically an IBM Selectric typewriter with a serial interface. In
> college, we didn't use TSO. We used Wylber. It as actually a very nice
> system. Especially compared to punching cards (which often required
> punching out some other student who was keying in their program as they
> were developing it) and looking a paper output.
>
> I actually did use an ASR-33 (KSR-33 with paper tape attachment) at TCU
> (Texas Christian University in Ft. Worth, TX) connected to some other
> computer in my senior high school year. Now that was a literal pain to key
> with. Talk about "hitting" the keys. That monster had very stiff keys and a
> long stroke to activate them.

lots of univ. were convinced to order 360/67 for running tss/360 ... but
with tss/360 having horrible performance and not quite coming to
production level ... many were just used as 360/65 for running os/360.
However, a couple places wrote their own virtual memory operating
systems, stanford did Orvyl ... as well as Wylber (later ported to
os/360) and univ. of michigan did MTS ... which was later ported to 370
and saw some use at a number of univ.

science center had assumed they would get virtual memory effort ... but
lost out to the new tss/360 group. however, the science center did get
360/40 and did their own hardware modifications and producing (virtual
machine) cp40/cms ...  which morphed into cp67/cms when 360/67 became
available. past posts mentioning science center
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

IBM recently shared this on Facebook ... which gets into tracing cloud
computing back to the virtualization work at the science center
blog.softlayer.com/2013/virtual-magic-the-cloud/

... I reshared and also posted to (linkedin) "Old Geeks" that got some
more comments
http://lnkd.in/MbiakK
Mike then reshared on facebook and generated a lot more comments
... some of mine archived here
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013l.html#18
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013l.html#19

the science center installed cp67/cms at the univ last week jan1968
... and I got to play with it on weekends. cp67/cms had support for 2741
and 1052 terminals ... including dynamic terminal type
identification. the univ. had some number of tty/33 terminals and I
added tty/ascii support ... including extending dynamic terminal type
identification to include tty. I had wanted to extend this to have a
single dialup phone number with common pool of number/ports for all
terminals ("hunt group") ... however, there was a deficiency in the ibm
terminal controller ... while it was possible to dynamically associate
the type of line-scanner with any port ... it wasn't possible to change
a ports line-speed (2741 & 1052 operated at same line-speed, but tty/33
was different line-speed).

this somewhat was behind the univ. deciding to start clone controller
effort ... starting with interdata/3 minicomputer ... reverse engineer
the 360 channel interface and build a board for the interdata/3 and
program the interdate/3 to emulate ibm terminal controller ... but
supporting both changing line-scanner on each port as well as dynamic
line speed identification. four of us get written up as responsible for
(some part of) clone controller business. some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#360pcm

it morphed into an interdata/4 handling the channel interface with
cluster of interdata/3 for line scanner function ... which interdata
marketed as product. It continued to be marketed after interdata was
bought under the Perkin-Elmer logo. I ran into one about a decade ago in
large financial transaction datacenter handling much of the retail
point-of-sale card swipe dial-up terminals on the east coast.

I also hacked HASP and added 2741 & TTY terminal support ... and
implemented an editor with the CMS editor syntax (completely different
code since the programming environments are so different) ... which I
considered much better than TSO (circa os/360 MVT 18).

for other drift ... the rise of clone controllers is credited as
the major motification behind the (failed) future system effort
... some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#futuresys