I don't know if the below would be better or worse for the shops that are
concerned about converting PDSs with load modules to PDSEs with program
objects, but would it not be true to say that one could, if one wished, leave
all pre-COBOL5 executables in their current PDS and compile only COBOL 5
executables into a new PDSE?  Of course one would need to concatenate the two
in any JOBLIB/STEPLIB, but I would hope (?!?!) that these definitions would be
brought in via JCL INCLUDE statements or something similar.  Perhaps the latter
is naive...

Frank