On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 21:52:07 -0400, John Gilmore wrote:

>Qua sysprog, I am sure thjat you are aware that PDSEs are problematic
>early in an IPL process; but none of these problems obtains for COBOL
>APs.

Very late to this, so sorry if my concerns have been answered  earlier.
What about shops with a ring of monoplexes ?. The sysplex scope is each
individual monoplex - but the sharing boundary is the larger GRSplex. Latch
contention - particularly PDSE latches - are a PITA.

>Tom Ross and his colleagues are to be applauded for having taken  this
>step.  It was long, long overdue; and COBOL shops are now being
>dragged, kicking and screaming as usual, into the last lustrum of the
>20th century

Hmmmm - wishful thinking I suspect. There are other issues to be addressed
first - I would counter that this may well slow the adoption of 5.1 in more
than a few shops.

Shane ...