On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Bob Shannon <bshan...@rocketsoftware.com>wrote:

> > This essentially makes in mandatory to be SMS on any volume and that
> means a lot of rule changes in the SMS constructs and in addition forcing
> SMS on just about any type of load module  PDSE's.
> >IN addition it seems to make in necessary for the whole SMS
> infrastructure to be in place day 1 of the new new COBOL.
> >I am all for SMS but in a graduated fashion. Load modules PDSe's are a
> PITA in a lot of ways. My thinking is that there will be a lot of people
> NOT upgrading to the new COBOL just because of this.
>
> I am not a fan of PDSEs, but have seen no more problems with PDSE load
> libraries than with non-load libraries.  Although I find it a bit hard to
> believe that after 20 years people still resist using SMS, PDSEs can be
> allocated on non-SMS managed volumes.  It's not something I recommend, but
> it can be done.
>
> z/OS is intended for customers willing to spend money; that's the only way
> IBM can stay in business.  If paying more for a compiler is a
> budget-buster, frankly the only solution is to start using Linux and move
> to entirely open source products.

Which is what many are doing. This company would have already gone to
Windows. Except that management directly above IT has noticed the the z
"just keeps running" and Windows applications tend to screw up on a more
regular basis. And we won't go to Linux because IT management here is
dedicated to a Windows monoculture. I really don't know why. Oh, yes, I've
been told that Linux costs more, per server, to run than Windows. Because
we run RHEL on Power boxes versus older Windows server on smaller Windows
boxes. I have no idea why they don't run CentOS on Power (assuming there is
a CentOS for Power).