Ah, what non-fond memories! We had a computer room operator that was sensitive to the IBM provided glue, which had a potent aroma. We found that a 1 inch length of ordinary scotch tape, cut in two lengthwise, worked well and outlasted the actual CC tape itself. Eventually the sprocket holes would wear out and drive mechanism would race out of control. We made a point of creating numerous spares and discarding any suspect ones before it died dramatically. Each shift would inspect the existing CCt for wear, similarly to eyeballing a car's fan belt or serpentine. If in doubt, replace. Cheap insurance.