Robert Wessel <robertwess...@yahoo.com> writes:
> While that's mostly true, the 3174, amongst other things, kept a copy
> of the terminal buffer in local storage (obviously for CUT mode
> devices only), and only sent updates down the wire.  So the extra
> chattiness was largely a non-issue.  That did have a significant
> impact on file transfer programs running via a CUT mode device, which
> would update the terminal's buffer directly, which led IBM to add a
> configuration option (the somewhat infamous "File Transfer Aid Bit"),
> which would cause the 3174 to copy the terminal buffer back when it
> serviced a read command.
>
> But things like Entry Assists definitely worked on "real" CUT mode
> terminals, which certainly still existed, even though many people were
> using PC based terminal emulators instead.

los gatos lab vlsi tools group was doing lots of work with metaware's
TWS and then two of the people did a mainframe Pascal ... which was used
for a lot of internal VLSI tools and later morphed into vs/pascal
product ... it was also used for the original mainframe tcp/ip product
... recently mentioned in this post:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013l.html#54

in the early 80s one of the two people responsible for pascal, left and
did a silicon valley startup to do a fancy 3270 controller clone
... which had a bunch of outboard functions in support of real dumb
terminals. a big target was the TSO market place because of the really
horrible TSO human factors and response ... and they were attempting to
mask as much of it as possible. however, with the advent of ibm/pcs and
3270 terminal emulation ... that market imploded and the company
disolved (it was only somebody like ibm's communication group that would
have thought there was something more there). They somewhat got their
investment money by showing large difference between TSO and CMS ... and
claiming that they could make TSO close to CMS with enhanced functions
outboard in a clone controller (customers would pay real money to make
TSO semi-bearable).

I periodically visited them in their digs while the controller was under
development.

other trivia ... after the 3270 clone controller company imblodes, he
then goes on to be VP of software development at MIPS and when SGI buys
MIPS ... he moves on to be the general manager of the SUN business unit
that included JAVA.

marginally related frame tale. circa 1990, object-oriented software was
becoming the range in silicon valley ... Apple had PINK effort ... a new
operating system implemented in object-oriented programming, SUN had
similar SPRING effort. Apple spun off much of its object-oriented into
Taligent which morphed into object-oriented program development
environment with object classes grouped in frameworks.

We were contacted and asked if we would consider taking over SPRING and
turning it out as commercial product ... I've periodically claimed that
there appeared to be some amount of overlap between SPRING and JAVA

old email
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010.html#email960203

and this past post has part of the description of SPRING's "client-side
interpreter"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001j.html#32

past posts in this thread:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013l.html#20 Teletypewriter Model 33