On Thu, 9 Jan 2014 11:51:04 -0600, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:

>Is this "cloning", sometimes called "deployment" to a live system?  It seems
>there's a flaw in the process if the live system is not updated by a process
>identical to that used on the maintenance system.

Sort of.  Deployment is a more general term often these days for
software roll outs.   It may have become a more popular term with mainframe
system software in recent years but I only used to hear it used with
distributed
systems and mainframe business application roll outs.  It is also what tools
like
CA Chorus Software Manager and IBM z/OSMF call the process of rolling out
software
to different environments, but it can all be considered cloning under the
covers.

See MVS Planning Operations...   Cloning is the process of copying one system
to another, typically your SMP/E targets (sysres dsns, unix file systems) and
copying
them to an IPLable version.   In my world it includes copying the SMP/E zones
as well, but it doesn't have to.   I do that because I have so many sysres
sets,
if there is a problem, I can easily see if PTF NNNNNNN is on any given set.
It also allows "backwards cloning"  (overlaying the maintenance environment
with one that is / was being used for production), although I have rarely done
that in my life except when only using 2 sets (A/B).  Then you have to always
start with the "live/running" set, clone to another set, apply maintenance, then
IPL from the new set and then clone the other set when you need to apply
maintenance again  Did this often "back in the day" when DASD wasn't "cheep" -
especially at smaller shops.

Oh... you can also fine some cloning jobstreams on my web site in the JOBs/DOC
section of my web site / CBT file 434.

ITIL v3 Foundation Certified
mailto:m...@mzelden.com
Systems Programming expert at http://search390.techtarget.com/ateExperts/