Paul is thinking UNIX and needs to look at how we do MVS maintenance. The MVS
maintenance philosophy is more robust than UNIX. In UNIX, the philosophy is to
apply maintenance to each system separately. In z/OS we apply maintenance to a
copy of the system (once). We then IPL any (not necessarily all) systems that
we want using the updated copy. Once we feel it is stable, we can then IPL more
systems. Shared dasd is a good thing which allows us to upgrade and fallback
all systems from the same volumes.  Since upgrade and fallback is usually just
an IPL, we can do it within minutes without the sysprog.

Jon Perryman.