In <4384793391606637.wa.paulgboulderaim....@listserv.ua.edu>, on
01/09/2014
   at 11:51 AM, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> said:

>Is this "cloning", sometimes called "deployment" to a live system?
>It seems there's a flaw in the process if the live system is not
>updated by a process identical to that used on the maintenance
>system.

Why should the current live system be updated at all? Treat it as a
fallback system and IPL from the more current system.

>None of which would have protected me:

What protects you is developing a robust plan for service, testing and
deployment, then sticking to it. If you do things in an ad hoc manner
then you will eventually shoot yourself in the foot.