On Mar 26, 2014, at 6:44 PM, Andrew Rowley wrote:

On 27/03/2014 2:36, Charles Mills wrote:

On the mainframe side, I don't think I've ever seen an "automatic" 30-day trial, largely because "magic hidden files" are of course greatly frowned upon in this space. Mainframe 30-day trials in my experience require vendor
administration to generate some sort of "30-day key."

The idea of "magic hidden files" might be frowned upon, but I think that is more due to the description. If you store data for use by your program in an obscure location, using standard, documented interfaces I don't see it as a problem. I worry more about software requiring authorized libraries and software that installs hooks into system services than software that might store a piece of data somewhere for its own use.

Andrew:

This is not quite the same but something remotely similar.
A LONG time ago (GT 40) years a vendor who thought he as clever needed to store a jobname in low memory. This was fine except MVS needed 2 PSA's (or more) so the the problem arose that you had to assemble the nuc with a DC of 640" " ((max 80 job names). At the beginning it was OK. e started having issues when the #'s of UCB's reached over 1200 (or some number my memory is fuzzy here). Then to add to the issue the product did not always clear the entry in the table and it would fill up if we didn't IPL for a few days. One of the sysprogs had to write a program to see if the job was still running and if not clear the entry.

We had major management screaming at us as they couldn't order any more DASD and operations screaming at us because of the JOBNAME issue.

We just old them to talk to the vendor as we didn't write the code. I think the vendor finally fixed the jobname issue as the problem seem to disappear after maintenance but the UCB was a PIA for quite some time as we seemed to be the only customer ho complained.
The vendor as little if any help.

CA bought them out 2 years or so later.

Ed