Scott

From: John Gilmore
Sent: ‎Thursday‎, ‎May‎ ‎8‎, ‎2014 ‎11‎:‎59‎ ‎AM
To: IBM Mainframe Discussion List

The distinction between COBOL's distinction of WORKING-STORAGE and
LOCAL-STORAGE is essentially the same as the PL/I and then C
distinction of static and automatic storage.

As far as I can judge from earlier posts in this thread the shared
facility is not a dynamic shared control block; it is a  read-only
table; and the serialization of accesses to such a table is required
only if it is replaced from time to time DURING the execution of the
multithreaded application.

Serialization is possible from, although not within, COBOL.  One
writes a pair of simple COBOL-callable assembly-language to do it; and
it is also possible and useful to write such a pair of subroutines to
LOAD and DELETE [load module or program object] tables.

In general, then, Mr. Perryman and I disagree, as we often have.  His
generic strictures, which would interdict all mixed-language
applications, are simplistic.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA