jo.skip.robin...@sce.com

From:   Lloyd <leful...@sbcglobal.net>
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU, Date: 06/01/2014 06:12 PM Subject: Re: Is there a significant performance penalty for non-aligned operands?
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

On 6/1/2014 7:51 PM, Peter Relson wrote:
I believe the answer is "no", all other things being equal.

But if one of those "other things" is that the non-aligned operand spans
cache lines whereas an aligned one would not, then the answer could be a
huge "yes".

Things such as doubleword (or quadword) consistency could not be relied
upon, depending on the degree of non-alignment.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design

There are times, though, when things have to be aligned for specific instructions whether hardware instructions or supervisor calls (not necessarily SVC) that things HAVE to be on a doubleword or quadword boundary. What I usually do then is defne a variable larger by the appropriate number of bytes and verify by shifting the address that I am aligned.

Lloyd