On 6/2/2014 9:06 AM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 11:47:17 -0400, John Eells wrote:

The caches are divided into 256-byte increments called "cache lines" in
current processors.

(The exact number is probably subject to change.)

Modern processors implement instructions a program can use to learn about the cache configuration on the machine, though I don't expect the line size to change in my lifetime.

Does HLASM and/or STORAGE provide for cache line alignment?

For a long, long time now...

I've long wondered why the NIL and OIL macros are necessary to
lock access to bits within a byte, whereas the hardware performs
the equivalent function for bytes within a cache line.

NIL and OIL are not required on z196 and higher machines. NI and OI now do the necessary serialization.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc