jwgli...@gmail.com (John Gilmore) writes:
> I think that IBM long ago concluded that it could not do everything,
> and thus that the existence of other centers of development, the ISVs,
> was and is in its best interests.
>
> The problem with the separate, individual consideration of the
> business cases for extension A, extension B, extension C, . . .  is
> that there may be, often are important synergies among them.  Their
> one-at-a-time evaluation is simplistic.  De minimis is doubtless a
> good doctrine for appelate courts; in the IT industry it is a recipe
> for obsolescence and with it progressive irrelevance.
>
> Worse, economic significance is only easy to evaluate in retrospect.
> (I am old enough to remember when there was vigorous argument within
> IBM about the merits, if any, of relational data base managers like
> DB2.)

back before OCO (object code only) enormous amounts of innovation and
new stuff was done by customers and/or ibm support people onsite at
customer accounts ... which then morphs into IBM products ... CICS, IMS,
HASP, ASP, etc.  The joke was that products were *developed* at customer
sites and then turned over to development groups for maintenance and
support. Only focusing on the next quarter basically orientates to
static environment with little innovation or change.

some of the discord/argument between IMS group in STL and the System/R
(original relation/sql) in bldg. 28 (a couple miles away) was that
System/R doubled the disk space (for implicit indexes) and significantly
increased disk i/o (processing the indexes). IMS directly exposed record
pointers for use by application ... significantly improving machine
efficiencies ... but significantly increasing administration & human
management (for anything other than purely static environment).

Going into the 80s, disk space costs drastically came down (mitigating
the index disk space costs) and processor memory significantly increased
allowing for index caching, reducing index i/o. At the same time,
general dataprocessing costs came down drastically ... significantly
increasing uses ... w/o corresponding increase in expertise for detailed
care and feading.

STL was focused on doing "EAGLE" followon for IMS ... allowing SJR to do
System/R technology transfer to Endicott for release as SQL/DS. When
EAGLE implodes, requests are made for how fast could System/R be ported
to MVS ... where it is eventually released as DB2 ... originally for
analytics and decision support *ONLY*.

misc. past posts mentioning System/R
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#systemr
misc. past posts mentioning hasp, jes, jes2 networking, etc
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#hasp
msic. past posts mentioning cics, bdam
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#cics

note that 23Jun1969 unbundling announced included starting to charge
for (application) software ... but managed to make the case that
kernel/system software should still be free. some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#unbundle
then largely motivated by rise of clone controllers, Future System
was started in the early 70s ... to completely replace 370 and be
totally different ... a major objective was very tight integration
of processors and controllers significantly raising the bar for
clone controllers. some past posts mentioning clone controllers
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#360pcm
some past future system posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#futuresys

during the future system period 370 efforts were being suspended and/or
killed off. The lack of 370 products during this period is credited with
giving the clone processors market foothold.

after future system implodes there is mad rush to get products back into
the 370 pipelines. the rise of the clone processors also contributes to
changing the decision to start charging for kernel software followed by
OCO (cutting of lots of customer based innovation).