On Jul 6, 2014, at 2:03 PM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
...starting in 1979 with the rise of huge number of vm/4300s ...  in
the early 80s, the company declared vm370/cms as the corporate strategic
interactive product.  ...

That might have made sense if CMS had full capability to LINK and ACCESS
MVS volumes, and to FILEDEF data sets via catalog lookup, and to XEDIT
PDS (later PDSE) members.  Otherwise not.Gil:

I can only talk about the MVS side of things.
AFAIK the VM version came later and XEDIT was one of the other fullscreen editors (I think there were 2, but the second name is out of reach for a minute) My limited VM knowledge says there was a war between the two and finally the other one won but then ISPF came along and eventually eliminated them both.

Ed