On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 9:53 AM, Farley, Peter x23353
<peter.far...@broadridge.com> wrote:
> Tom, are you sure about that i7 processor spec?  I believe the i7 is a 4-core
> processor, not a 6-core processor.  And if you turn off hiperthreading it
> really is only 4 cores, not the 8 cores you seem to have with hiperthreading
> turned on.
>
> Plus, I read this in the specs for the hardware supported by RD&T:
>

> Processor core requirement:
>
> At least 1 Linux core is required for each set of 3 z/OS cores implemented.
>
> For standard installations, IBM recommends a 4-Core system with 1 core
> devoted to linux and 3 cores devoted to z/OS.
>
> For Sysplex installations, IBM recommends an 11-Core system with 3 cores
> devoted to linux and 8 cores devoted to z/VM and its guests.
>

> AFAIK ordinary people don't have access to an 11-core system.  That would
> require a "PC" with four i7 CPU's on the motherboard, and I don't know of any
> such "PC" >motherboard out there.

Sound like a  dual Xeon workstation is required. That's likely gonna
set you back at least US $3K or even  more. I saw a 12 core (24
threads) 64Gb RAM for about $6K. Same place had 24 core (48 threads),
64Gb RAM for US $8,600

--
There is nothing more pleasant than traveling and meeting new people!
Genghis Khan

Maranatha! <><
John McKown