I  am trying to run a benchmark test as David suggested using the clists in

http://users.tpg.com.au/crayford/rexx-lua-c-io-benchmark.htm

the only big files I have to read (containing alot of data) are  SMF archives.

LUA4Z reads them without a problem but

REXX/EXECIO gives this error:

IRX0509E Invalid record format for data set allocated to file INPUT. RECFM must

h track overflow are not supported.

IRX0670E EXECIO error while trying to GET or PUT a record.

So LUA4Z is probably better for this reason alone – it can read any file.