On 24/10/2014 11:03 PM, Barkow, Eileen wrote:
LUA could use some good tutorials or at least some more samples of code.
The reference manual is no help for someone trying to learn the language.

The canonical programming guide is PIL (Programming In Lua) http://www.lua.org/pil/contents.html. There is also a website with snippets http://snippets.luacode.org/.

In the samples data set there is a member called FILEIO. It calls a library called struct to read binary data from an SMF file. That may be worth playing with to learn the language as it's tangible.

BTW, in the LUA4Z.LOADLIB there is a customized ISPF highlighting module called ISRPX. If you drop this into your ISPF load library concat and issue HILITE OTHER it will do Lua syntax color highlighting. Unfortunately, it doesn't do comments which ISPF must do in the editor code.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John Gilmore
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2014 10:40 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ANN] Lua4z: the Lua programming language on z/OS, with batteries

Like landing at Thanet, having Lua usable under z/OS UNIX is "a good thing".
It may make its way against REXX, or again it may not.

The matrix-algebra test case is not, however, an appropriate one for the
comparative evaluation of these two implementations of Lua and REXX.  It is not
indeed a good test case for the evaluation of any scripting language.  (The
notion that either REXX or Lua is a general-purpose programming language
reflects a very specialized point of view.  It may be a splendid vehicle for
what and all that one is personally interested in, but that is a very different
matter.)

David Crayford deserves our thanks for making Lua available, and his
enthusiasm is entirely understandable.   Assuming that this
implementation is used, as I hope it will be, we shall know better a year or so
hence just how much better it is than the REXX implementation he deplores.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA