PMFJI here, but I just wanted to add one small issue I have with the lua
language - The fact that it does not use POSIX extended  regular expression
syntax for string patterns.  As a long-time [g]awk user, I am very experienced
and comfortable with POSIX RE syntax, but I am totally unfamiliar with the RE
syntax that lua uses for character classes.  When you want to do some Q&D (or
at least Q) text pattern processing, you go with what you are most comfortable
using.  Learning lua's RE character class syntax is going to be a at least a
minor PITA, though I'll admit that lua's syntax is more concise.

The lua RE syntax and implementation also lacks the POSIX "counted" repetition
factor (paired curly braces enclosing one or two numbers following a pattern
element), which can be annoying to work around when you really need it.  Even
z/OS Unix awk supports that RE syntax and semantics.

But I agree wholeheartedly with John G. that David Crayford is to be commended
highly for bringing lua to z/OS.  Thank you very much David!

Eileen, I noticed that there are a number of books listed on the web page
http://www.lua.org/docs.html which are for sale, and some of them seem to be
available as ebooks as well.  According to that page, the first edition of the
book "Programming in lua" is freely available online.  Although slightly out of
sync with the current lua version, the statement is made that the online
version "remains largely relevant".  That may help lua novices like us.

I agree that a freely available set of "beginner" examples for the current
version would be very useful as well.  Although TANSTAAFL - apparently sales of
the various lua books supports the ongoing efforts of the lua project.

Peter