On Oct 29, 2014, at 6:14 PM, Gibney, Dave wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU]
On Behalf Of Ed Gould
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2014 4:04 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: DFHSM QUESTION - EXPIRATION OF DSN

On Oct 29, 2014, at 4:39 PM, R.S. wrote:

W dniu 2014-10-29 o 18:47, Gibney, Dave pisze:
HSM will happily back-up empty datasets. INVALID datasets are another
matter. But, it is an easy matter to define a DEFAULT DATACLAS with
DSORG=PS and never have another invalid dataset.

True.
However I would prefer to have some feature to avoid creation of
invalid datasets.
I saw a lot of invalid datasets and none of them was really need by
the creator.

R.S.
  Define invalid datasets, please.

From HSM's perspective, they lack a DSORG. Most frequently created by JCL where the program doesn't actually OPEN the output file for some reason. On non-SMS disk, they can also lack an EOF mark with older z/OS (or perhaps OS390)