On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 08:54:18 -0600, Walt Farrell wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 01:54:26 -0600, Paul Edwards wrote:
>
>>I don't have z/OS so I can't do this myself.
>>
>>Would someone who has z/OS be able to raise an
>>issue either directly with IBM or via SHARE?
>>
>>The problem is that IBM's ftp has a great option
>>to preserve RDW when transferring a binary VB
>>file from mainframe to PC, but it doesn't have
>>an option to reverse that process.
>
>Are you sure that the rdw option doesn't work when sending from the PC to
>z/OS? I don't see anything in the documentation to indicate that the receiving
>z/OS would ignore it.

I've tried it.  It doesn't do anything useful.  I agree with the OP that the
implementation fails its apparent intended objective; I call it moronic.
But I fear a PMR would be ineffective.  I imagine replies:

o The documentation says that on a transfer the RDWs are treated as
  part of the data and appear in the data in the destination file.  So
  on a GET the RDWs appear in the data of the file gotten to; in
  a PUT the RDW images in the source file appear in the data of the
  destination file.  ∎; WAD.

o In any case, changing it now would probly break existing code.

o Treating 4 bytes of a record when the server has no control over the
  source data might cause serious I/O errors or buffer overuns.

If the OP hasn't access to z/OS, his interest must be only academic.
I'll suggest the alternative sequence from the remote system:

    BINARY
    QUOTE TYPE E
    QUOTE MODE B

There is no equivalent possible with a z client and a non-z server.

(Others might suggest QUOTE STRU R instead.)

-- gil