>          6 //DD7  DD  UNIT=SYSALLDA,SPACE=(1,0),RECFM=VBS,LRECL=32767
>          6 IEF638I SPECIFIED NUMERIC EXCEEDS MAXIMUM ALLOWED IN THE LRECL
> SUBPARAMETER OF THE DCB FIELD
> Why is this considered an error?
>
> In fact, 32761 is accepted; 32762 causes the error.  On what rationale is
> this based?
> The same limts appear to apply to RECFM=VB.
> I haven't tried OPENing any such data set.

The explanation I came up with when I tested boundary conditions (<VBG>) was
that 32767 is the maximum allowed for fixed records. And that length was
determined by DASD geometry (in the past). A variable length record always has
a length field preceding the actual record data. And since this is blocked, you
also need length for the block descriptor. These two make up the 6 byte that
you cannot specify for lrecl without exceeding geometry. I haven't tested (or
if I did, I forgot the results) if it makes a difference when you use
RECFM=V(S). The layout is described somewhere in SC26-7410 Using data sets.

Barbara