Paul Gilmartin wrote:

>I get:
>         6 //DD7  DD  UNIT=SYSALLDA,SPACE=(1,0),RECFM=VBS,LRECL=32767
>  STMT NO. MESSAGE
>
>         6 IEF638I SPECIFIED NUMERIC EXCEEDS MAXIMUM ALLOWED IN THE LRECL
> SUBPARAMETER OF THE DCB FIELD
>Why is this considered an error?

I am still finding it 'Weird', but it is WAD and for backward compatibility or
for possible max blocksize to be used. What dataset (VSAM, PS, PDS, OMVS, etc.)
are you using?

>In fact, 32761 is accepted; 32762 causes the error.  On what rationale is this
>based? The same limts appear to apply to RECFM=VB. I haven't tried OPENing any
>such data set.

Ok. 32767 is x'7FFF'. I suspect it is something about record length and
probably something about ability to store a record length in the first 4 bytes.

Granted, for SMF, I cannot use 32767 in JCL, but had to use a lower number
(32760 - x'7FF8'), but IFASMFDP will change it to 32767 anyways.

It is one of the Big Blue mysteries... ;-D

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht