was that
> 32767 is the maximum allowed for fixed records. And that length was
determined by
> DASD geometry (in the past). A variable length record always has a length
field preceding
> the actual record data. And since this is blocked, you also need length
for the block
> descriptor. These two make up the 6 byte that you cannot specify for lrecl
without
> exceeding geometry. I haven't tested (or if I did, I forgot the results)
if it makes a difference
> when you use RECFM=V(S). The layout is described somewhere in SC26-7410
Using data
> sets.

Isn't the RDW already included in the LRECL (VBA print files are 137 which
leaves 133 for data which includes carriage control)?  Isn't the BDW always
excluded from the LRECL since only one is present in a block which may
contain more than one record)?

Aren't the RDW and BDW both 4 bytes each?