> OTOH, it's not clear what happens to OPERLOG messages after JES terminates.
> They're probably captured in a CF structure, but would we have access to that
> data after system shutdown?
Assuming that operlog is not varied off, operlog merrily goes on recording
everything that goes on after JES terminates. Operlog stops recording only once
it gets the notification that the system is about to be wait stated. On that
notification, all buffers (from either CF or DASD only) are hardened for all
log streams.
In the case of a DASD-only logstream (and presumably monoplex) you will have
access once the system comes back up. In a sysplex (with CF logstreams) you
have access all along.

To the OP:
Having seen enough asinine automation - are you sure that removing operlog
right before JES wasn't done when operlog was first introduced, on the
erroneous assumption that it would behave just like syslog and 'needs to be
shut down'? I see no benefit in not having operlog until the very end, in fact,
I insisted on activating DASD-only operlog even in the monoplexes to see what
goes on after JES shuts down. That way I found the cause of some abend during z
eod.

Barbara