Since forever. What I'm saying is so simple that I must have misspoken. I'm
saying that the earliest messages that appear on the IPL console also appear in
syslog. These messages, issued long before JES starts--including the start of
JES itself--are captured and eventually written to the syslog data set viewable
in SDSF. It just works. Example from a recent IPL:

14:49:42.51 SYSLOG   00000000  IEE042I SYSTEM LOG DATA SET INITIALIZED
14:47:46.12          00000290  IEA630I  OPERATOR *OPLOGB1 NOW ACTIVE,   SYSTEM=B
14:47:46.13 INTERNAL 00000290  CONTROL M,UEXIT=Y IEAVN701 - INTERNALLY ISSUED K
14:46:12.33          00000210  IEA371I SYS1.IPLPARM ON DEVICE B031 SELECTED FOR

In this IPL, the earliest IPL message (IEA371I) is time-stamped before IEE042I.

The same is not true of operlog. In our DR environment, operlog for the first
system in a sysplex is delayed until a job rebuilds the log stream. No earlier
messages appear in operlog. OTOH in the example above, operlog starts right
away because his log stream already exists.

.
.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson