From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John McKown
Sent: 11 February, 2015 13:55
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Vary OPEERLOG offline before IPLing the system?

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 11:58 PM, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) <
shmuel+ibm-m...@patriot.net> wrote:

> In
> <
> bn1pr0101mb07546706ca5f178b84197399ce...@bn1pr0101mb0754.prod.exchangelabs.com
> >,
> on 02/10/2015
>    at 06:43 PM, J O Skip Robinson <jo.skip.robin...@sce.com> said:
>
> >There is surely no advantage to varying OPERLOG off at shutdown.
> >However, we should note that syslog also captures early messages
> >from NIP onwards
>
> Since when? Are you thinking of MTRACE, which is not SYSLOG?
>
> --
>      Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT

​We use SYSLOG, not OPERLOG. And I see the NIP messages in it. It appears
that they are buffered and written to SYSLOG once JES2 comes up and SYSLOG
is available. Given our small size, I don't know if this buffer is a "wrap
around" and so might lose messages if there are a lot of them before SYSLOG
is initialized.​

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

e-mail, and delete this message.