It might be better to document a procedure as follows:

1) Apply changes to MAINT, test. Resolve any issues. Repeat until clean.
2) Migrate MAINT to DEV, and age for x days. Resolve any issues and  return to
step 1.
3) migrate DEV to PROD.

If 3 separate zones target zones are really required, they should be part of
the migration process. SMP/E has commands to facilitate migration of the zones.
The alternative is to run the apply/accept 3 times (once for each zone).

Remember, auditors can only advise. They cannot compel.

HTH,

<snip>
We need to improve our SMP/E practice, and I am fishing for ideas - for audit
requirements, we need 3 separate target zones for our MAINT, DEV and PROD
environments - my idea would be to have 4 targets including a "W.I.P." one
where I can apply the very latest maintenance before deploying it.

Any ideas and suggestions will be gratefully accepted.
</snip>