Hello -

Please excuse the lack of detail in this post... I'm not a COBOL programmer and
quite a bit of what is happening here is either outside of my scope of
understanding and experience or I have no way to directly test some of this.
There are quite a few "moving parts" involved and I'm not sure which one may be
the culprit.

We have a production batch job that executes DB2 and a COBOL program using TSO
in batch (IKJEFT1A).  The COBOL program dynamically allocates DASD data sets as
input using PUTENV and standard COBOL SELECT and OPEN statements.  The COBOL
program uses the CATALOG to get the data set names it is interested in uses the
DSN to do the OPEN.  This has been working for years.  Unfortunately, some of
the input data sets chaned from DASD data sets to TAPE data sets and the job is
now getting "failure to allocate" messages:

IKJ56221I DATA SET FOO.BAR NOT ALLOCATED, VOLUME NOT AVAILABLE+

IKJ56221I VOLUME  NECESSARY TO SATISFY YOUR REQUEST NOT ON SYSTEM, AND CANNOT
BE MOUNTED

...and since we are a JES3 shop, this one gets thrown in as well:

IEF295I FOO.BAR - VOLUME MOUNTING NOT ALLOWED BUT IS NEEDED BY JES3
INITIALIZATION

I find the IEF295I message (and descriptive text) to be especially cryptic and
confusing.  I'm not quite sure what failure to mount a volume has to do with
"JES3 INITIALIZATION", but I suspect the message is probably just ancient and
poorly worded...

I opened a PMR with IBM, but the essence of what I'm getting back just boils
down to "...you can't mount a tape from a batch job executing TSO...".  And
although that certainly seems to be the case here, I guess I'm just skeptical.
And I can't seem to find that blanket restriction specifically documented
anywhere.

I have found numerous other "can I dynamically allocate a data set from a COBOL
program" posts on the Interwebs and I have read quite a few of them, but none
of them specifically mention tape--at least not the ones that I can find.  And
one would think that if that were a restriction, it would have been discussed
or mentioned in at least *one* of them...!  But maybe not.  We even tried
adding a TSO segment to the batch userID and gave it MOUNT authority, but that
did not help.  It seems awfully odd that there is no way to permit this, if
this is indeed a default behavior/restriction... after all, even with the TSO
restriction, you can still override it with UADS or TSOAUTH...!

I guess I'm just looking for definitive confirmation one way or the other and
was hoping that somebody would have specific knowledge or experience here.

Thanks for any help...

Larre Shiller
US Social Security Administration