Ze'ev Atlas wrote:

>Why is getting an ASCII piece of information so scary?  And why would handling
>it using proper programming, any scary?

Simply, if you receive data, say x'0A0B0CF1F2F3', then how would you see,
programmatically, it is ASCII or EBCDIC?

With TRT or friends? I had to avoid a surprise 0Cx abend or having endure GIGO.
(Garbage In Garbage Out)

Of course, when all foundations are set right, and you get your data in
whatever format as expected, then I have no problem handling ASCII or EBCDIC.
Nothing scary at all with proper programming.

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht