Thank you Radoslaw and others who have suggested that a) we don't need a NIP
console or b) we should be able to promulgate a list and be done with it. I
don't consider it a useful option to c) let people read the IODF and figure it
out for themselves. Really? Would that work in your shop? Your operators are
actually sysprog understudies chomping at the bit to get on stage? (Pardon
mixing of metaphors.) For us, that is so not a realistic option.

As for b), I did not burden the list with the reason I'd like to identify valid
NIP consoles externally. We have problems in the current IODF that some LPARs
in fact do not have a viable NIP console. I think I know how to fix them, but
I'd like a way to check my work after dynamic ACTIVATE without having to
actually IPL. A display command would be so much less disruptive.

As for a), there is a geographic issue that many on the list do not experience.
We have two data centers in California. Most of the current operation staff is
in Mexico with occasional involvement from India. (A Google search on 'SCE IT'
may be instructive.) There is literally not a single 'Operator' with physical
access to a true HMC. Operations staff can get to our console application (VCC)
over IP, or they can remote into an HMC. As discussed at some length here in a
recent thread, Java is at best an iffy window into Operating System Messages.

I'm only concerned about NIP replies. Once MCS has found his brains, we can get
to any LPAR through VCC. Hence the need for NIP consoles.

.
.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson