From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Jim Mulder
Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2015 9:42 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Identifying a NIP console

> As for b), I did not burden the list with the reason I'd like to
> identify valid NIP consoles externally. We have problems in the
> current IODF that some LPARs in fact do not have a viable NIP console.
> I think I know how to fix them, but I'd like a way to check my work
> after dynamic ACTIVATE without having to actually IPL. A display
> command would be so much less disruptive.

  The NIP console device numbers are read from the IODF during an IPL IRIM and
saved in a data structure in SQA.  The NIP console RIM (IEAVNPCA) frees that
storage before it exits, so the list of devices that were eligible to be NIP
consoles is not retained in storage to be used later by a DISPLAY command.

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY