> As for b), I did not burden the list with the reason I'd like to
> identify valid NIP consoles externally. We have problems in the
> current IODF that some LPARs in fact do not have a viable NIP
> console. I think I know how to fix them, but I'd like a way to check
> my work after dynamic ACTIVATE without having to actually IPL. A
> display command would be so much less disruptive.

  The NIP console device numbers are read from the IODF during an IPL IRIM
and saved in a data structure in SQA.  The NIP console RIM (IEAVNPCA)
frees that storage before it exits, so the list of devices that were
eligible to be NIP consoles is not retained in storage to be used later
by a DISPLAY command.

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY