On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 11:54:32 -0400, Scott Ford wrote:

>The individual csect idea is good when products are written in Assembler of
>course. I wonder about products in C and C++ or COBOL. My initial question
>was about packaging our COBOL based product with Assembler based
>subroutines into a SMP/E package for delivery to the customer. My idea to
>make the customers install easier and ad void as many errors as possible,
>thus eliminating support calls. Everyone's input is great ...but is my
>thinking incorrect here ?.

Shmuel and Ed have both argued for graular as opposed to monolithic
installation and service.

I agree with you that HLLs complicate the situation.  The collection of
CSECT names for a given source ensemble may be unpredictable,
especially when a prelinker is involved.  You're well advised to use the
CSECT() operand on the ++MOD command.  Lacking it, RESTORE is
problematic.  But one vendor I know delivers identically named CSECTs
(admittedly with identical content) in differently named ++MOD elements.
Ugh!  APPLY works fine; RESTORE could corrupt the product.

-- gil