CALLLIBS are best used for modules not part of your product.  You would use
NCAL and INCLUDE statements for libraries and modules supplied by your product
or by another product or FMID from your company.

Using CALLLIBS does abdicate the control of any module not mentioned by an
INCLUDE statement in the JCLIN.  I don't know of any LIST that would know the
FMID of a module in your CALLLIB.

You do not supply the other product's CSI to SMP/E, just the library name.
This does not allow SMP/E to find the FMID or RMID information for those
modules.  If your product uses a CALLLIB from a CA product, you could use the
CAMODID TSO command to find that information in your loadlib.
For example: CAMODID DSN(your.loadlib) DETAIL [LMOD(lmodname)]

In addition to the LE modules mentioned by Tom, at CA we also use calllibs for
Callable Systems Services and Cryptographic Services as well as IMS, CICS, and
DB2.  Some products also bring in CA Common  Services modules through CALLLIBS.
 You do not use INCLUDE statements for modules included by CALL processing.

When these libraries are updated by the other vendor, your customers can run
LINK LMODS to get the newer version of the modules from the CALLIBS linked into
the modules from your product.  This is done at initial install, and also
during PTF install, but must be done manually if you replace the CALLLIB from
the other product.

NCAL processing is superior to CALLLIBS inside your product because SMP/E links
the object from your ++MOD into every load module where it is defined.  If you
simply replace ++MOD elements in your CALLLIB, they will sit there until the
next LINK LMODS is run.  The new CALLLIB modules will also be called into a
relink for LMODs which are affected by PTFs within your products, but it takes
manual action, meaning ACTION holds in your PTFs, which is an interruption to
the maintenance flow.

Bob Longabaugh
CA Technologies
Quality Assurance