From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of John P. Baker
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2015 12:57 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Volkswagen Programmed Vehicle to Deactivate Pollution Control
Systems

http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2015/09/18/epa-says-vw-intentionally-v
iolates-clean-air-standards/?intcmp=hpbt1

In the referenced article, it is being reported that Volkswagen had their
programming staff intentionally program the computers controlling the
pollution control systems on certain 2008-2015 Audi and Volkswagen diesel
vehicles to activate the full pollution control systems ONLY when the
vehicle was undergoing official emissions testing.  At all other times, the
pollution control systems were inactive and the vehicles were putting out
emissions as high as 40 times the legal limit.

It is also unclear whether the programming staff who wrote the code will
face criminal charges.