Personally, it makes me want to go out and buy several of their cars. (I believe that the EPA needs to be reigned in.)

And for all those who say "but it's cheating", think about your driving habits. Many of you will drive 80mph down a 70mph interstate knowing the odds that a cop will stop you is low. You factor in the chances of getting caught and decide that it's worth the risk. Someone at Volkswagen did a similar risk assessment. (Personally, I think it was a young programmer who had a little bit of hacker in him.)

Tony Thigpen

Charles Mills wrote on 09/22/2015 09:06 AM:
Volkswagen has now had a chance to tell the other side of the story -- and
there does not seem to be one. I find this story utterly incredible. That a
Worldcom or an Enron or a Madoff would "improve" the books -- I find that
sadly typical of human nature. But that a publicly-traded, global company
would apparently order a team of programmers to design and write software
intended to deceive regulators and despoil the environment -- I find that
utterly incredible. Volkwagen's stock is down 40% if I understand the news
reports correctly. I wonder if they can -- I wonder if they should --
survive this.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Charles Mills
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2015 1:05 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Volkswagen Programmed Vehicle to Deactivate Pollution Control
Systems

I agree that the story as presented in the initial reports is pretty
damning. I would like to hear "the other side of the story." I think there
is at least some possibility that the intent of the programming was not
malicious and that either it has the unintended side effect that the EPA has
alleged, or possibly that the EPA misinterpreted it altogether. Overzealous
regulation and prosecution is not unprecedented nor unheard-of.