From:         "John P. Baker" <jba...@ngssallc.com>
To:           IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Volkswagen Programmed Vehicle to Deactivate Pollution Control Systems
Date:         Fri, 18 Sep 2015 15:56:34 -0400

http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2015/09/18/epa-says-vw-intentionally-v
iolates-clean-air-standards/?intcmp=hpbt1

In the referenced article, it is being reported that Volkswagen had their
programming staff intentionally program the computers controlling the
pollution control systems on certain 2008-2015 Audi and Volkswagen diesel
vehicles to activate the full pollution control systems ONLY when the
vehicle was undergoing official emissions testing.  At all other times, the
pollution control systems were inactive and the vehicles were putting out
emissions as high as 40 times the legal limit.

The company is facing $18 billion in fines.

It is unclear whether the Volkswagen executives who directed the scheme will
face criminal charges.

It is also unclear whether the programming staff who wrote the code will
face criminal charges.

Even though this is not a mainframe issue, it is an issue that directly
affects us and our industry.  Hackers are already a significant black eye.
This is much worse.  It makes legitimate programmers look suspect.

It raises the uncomfortable question of whether or not we can or should be
held criminally liable if we are directed to code a program or a change to a
program that we know would have the effect of violating the law and we then
knowingly proceed to code that program or a change to a program.

It has been suggested in the past that programmers should be licensed and/or
bonded.

I am not particularly fond of either idea.  However, I would like to hear
what others think.

John P. Baker

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.