At 12:28 -0400 on 10/30/2015, Tony Harminc wrote about Re: Releasing Orphan Storage without IPL:

On 30 October 2015 at 07:02, Elardus Engelbrecht
<elardus.engelbre...@sita.co.za> wrote:
As I have said in March 2013 - "We have a trophy just for such disasters. The new owner keeps it until another
 person makes an error..."

Well it seems to be war-story Friday.

This one happened years ago at one of the shops I worked at. We had 2314 DASD. For those who do not remember these units used removable disks and each unit had 9 draws for the disks. The address of the draw was defined by a plug that had the address to be assigned to it (you plugged it into the slot assigned to that draw). The plugs were numbered xx0-xx7. If you had a second unit it had address xx8-xxF (and the plugs had these numbers on them although the xx8-xxF plugs were the same as the xx0-xx7 ones - IOW: A xx8 plug was the same as a xx0 one). You could premount a new volume by putting it in the draw with no plug and mount it by dismounting another volume and moving the plug of the dismounted volume to the new volumes draw slot.

There was a new operator who had come from a shop with only one 2314 unit (ie: 9 draws) and the shop had 2 2314s (ie: 2 9-draw units with the 2nd being xx8-xxF). The operator had premounted a new volume in the empty draw on the 0-7 unit (as he was used to doing) and when a drive on the 8-F unit was dismounted by the system and it called for the new volume he had premounted he pulled the plug from the 8-F unit and plugged it unto the spare draw on the 0-7 unit. BIG CRASH since there were now two draws with the same address. All would have been OK if he, knowing that a 8-F volume was going to be dismounted, had premounted the new volume in the 8-F spare draw.