Paul Gilmartin wrote:
Naively, I'd expect that LISTCAT use CSI, or something very similar.

Years ago a Storage Admin mentioned that his "List every dataset" nightly job was running more than an hour. I was playing around with CSI at the time (via assembler) and modified some existing code to list every alias, and then every dsn under each alias. I think the result ran in less than 5 minutes, so at the time I assumed LISTCAT wasn't calling CSI. Maybe things have changed though.