At 08:32 -0600 on 11/18/2015, Tom Marchant wrote about Re: Fastest way to read OLDEST GDG entry:

I haven't done it, so I can't verify what the doc says, but Using Data Sets
has this to say under the topic Absolute Generation and Version Numbers:

<quote>
 You can catalog a new version of a specific generation automatically by
specifying the old generation number along with a new version number. For
example, if generation A.B.C.G0005V00 is cataloged and you now create
and catalog A.B.C.G0005V01, the new entry is cataloged in the location
previously occupied by A.B.C.G0005V00. The old entry is removed from the
catalog, to make room for the newer version, and may or may not be
scratched depending on what limit processing options are specified for the
GDG base.
</quote>

So you might want to make sure the GDG is defined with NOSCRATCH
before doing this.

Note that NOSCRATCH will (I think) not only leave the V00 of a V01->V00 replacement cataloged (as a normally named file with the V01 being in the GDG base) but also do the same as GDG generations roll off due to the limit. Normally once it rolls you would want it deleted.