I vote for the RACF profile. This is what that mechanism was designed for. The
dataset does not just disappear. In ISPF, you get a very explicit prompt that
what you're doing is potentially dangerous and requires extra care.
Furthermore, you don't need any special cleanup process afterwards as you would
with tweaking GRS.

In my shop, creation of a special, even temporary RACF profile requires
approval. As a senior sysprog, I'm blessed with access to profile
STGADMIN.DPDSRN.* . This allows me to handle any dataset without hoopla. I do
this responsibly and very infrequently. 'False contention' within GRS can cause
production failures, not just inconvenience. I believe that a shop needs a
process in place to fix these problems before they become Sev 1 incidents.

.
.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson