Skip:

I somewhat agree with your entry, however until IBM comes up with an legit way of accomplishing the task you do what must be done to get the job done.

Ed

On Jan 27, 2016, at 10:26 PM, Skip Robinson wrote:

I have no answer for SMS involvement, but I'm uncomfortable with geek-heavy proposals that involve unnatural acts performed under the aura of special knowledge and privilege. Zapping production volumes? Puh-lease. Even the GRS tweak has a risk. RNL can be modified dynamically, but once that's done, the next system to IPL must come up with an RNL that exactly matches the running GRSplex or it will wait state. This requirement complicates the task and, depending on the end state, may leave the DSN in question with no cross
system protection at all. Surely that's not an intended result.

As a professional group, we sysprogs need to edge away from doing things
just because we know how and have the power. The king will behead a
loose-cannon magician in favor of a semi-droll jester. (Been devouring
Gallivant.)

.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company
Electric Dragon Team Paddler
SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
323-715-0595 Mobile
jo.skip.robin...@att.net

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU]
On Behalf Of Robert A. Rosenberg
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 04:59 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [Bulk] Re: Deleting a dataset that GRS has enqueued.

At 10:32 -0600 on 01/27/2016, Tom Marchant wrote about Re: Deleting a
dataset that GRS has enqueued.:

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 09:37:29 -0600, Ed Gould wrote:

Try disabling the VVDS on the volume
amaspzap the dataset to change the name.
delete the dataset with iehprogm
enable the vvds on the volume

ITYM disable the VTOC index. I wouldn't want to do it that way.
I think that what Kees suggested is a better solution. Tell GRS not to
propagate the ENQ.

--
Tom Marchant

If you are going to go the amaspzap route but do not want to
disable/enable
the vvds, there is a simpler way of cleaning up the vvds. There is a "VVDS
is
Dirty" bit in the VTOC Format 4 record. Use Superzap to display its
current
state (there is a special Dataset Name that accesses the needed Format 4 record and gives you full access to the VTOC). Now do the Dataset rename,
run
IEHPROGM, and zap the byte to flip the bit on. The operating system will
see
the bit set and rebuild the VVDS for you. Note that the dirty bit might be
for a
dirty VTOC but I think that the VVDS will will be rebuilt in this case.
Also the
Dataset's Format 1 record can be ZAPPED which will delete it for you and
the
VTOC will be updated to compensate due to the dirty flag.