> We took the easy way out and brought down the two STCs that had the
> SMS dataset enqueued, then deleted the version of the dataset that
> was not being used.
>
> It was mentioned in this thread that GRS could have been modified to
> change the scope of the enqueue on the LPAR that the dataset was not
> being used on by making it local. Therefore no longer considered in
> use by GRS. I did not try this, but wonder if this was done for a
> dataset that was already enqueued if this would work... thoughts?
>
> I never found or saw mention a straight forward IBM supported way to
> delete or rename a SMS dataset in this situation.  If someone comes
> across a way please post I am curious.

I asked Wayne Rhoten about this.  He replied:

"I worked on that project and wrote some of the code.  I think
that the reason that it does not apply to an SMS-managed data set is
that it conflicts with the concept that you cannot have two
SMS-managed data sets with the same name.  The project was designed for
the system programmer that is building another system.  For example he
might have multiple SYS1.MACLIBs."

  So dealing with the situation of having separate catalogs and
SMS-plexes within the same sysplex (and thus allowing more than one
SMS-managed data set with the same name in the same sysplex) was not
a design consideration for that project.

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY