On 02/29/2016 08:10 PM, Anthony Thompson wrote:
> And saving costs is just what the OP's managers are seeking to do by
> outsourcing.
>
> Of course, outsourcers will always present their case in the best financial
> light to gather business, and their business is to make a profit. In my
> experience the savings they advertise are rarely achieved (I've worked on
> both sides of the fence).
And there succinctly stated is the inevitable conflict with outsourcing
that may or may not be reconcilable.  The goal of in-house corporate
computing is not for IT to make a profit; but is, or at least should be,
to support the business goals of the corporation.  That may at times
require unanticipated extra effort and abnormal work hours in order to
meet deadlines to provide new services to maintain a corporate marketing
edge.  In-house personnel will likely endure temporary work overloads
for the prospect of future benefit.  An outsourcer operating on profit
motive will either be unwilling to go the extra mile or be inclined to
charge for that support whatever a desperate customer is willing to pay.

--
Joel C. Ewing,    Bentonville, AR       jcew...@acm.org