On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 2:36 PM, Ward, Mike S <mw...@ssfcu.org> wrote:

> Ok, don't laugh. This may be commonplace to some of you, but I'm having a
> dickens of a time. We created a 1 Pack IPL able  system from the CBTTAPE
> JCL . Work's great. Now I want to put the pack on a DVD so I can IPL it
> from the DVD on the z12. How can I do this? I have been trying different
> things, and the only thing that gets me somewhat there is to FTP the volume
> to the DVD, however I get the PDF's there I can view them under windows,
> but the darn thing won't IPL. Can anyone give a little direction and help.
> I would like to Create the DVD to keep in the vault at the DR site in case
> it's needed.
>
> Thanks

​You could possibly get some form of the z/OS volume onto a DVD. But I
don't think that z/OS is capable of being IPL'd from it no matter what you
do. z/OS NIP would need to know how to read it's information from the DVD
via the proper, undocumented, commands to the HMC. There is no stated
ability to do this. IPL and NIP are a _major_ reason that z/OS is still
stuck using PDS libraries for libraries such as SYS1.NUCLEUS, SYS1.PARMLIB,
and others instead of them being PDSE capable. Curious to me that the z/OS
people let z/VM and z/Linux put them to shame in this way. z/VM and z/Linux
can be installed entirely from DVD to disk: either ECKD or FBA (e.g. a SAN
resident disk).​

​They IPL from the DVD and then use the HMC DVD as a ftp source.​

--
The unfacts, did we have them, are too imprecisely few to warrant our
certitude.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown