Mark Post wrote:
On 4/27/2016 at 03:51 PM, John McKown <john.archie.mck...@gmail.com> wrote:
​They IPL from the DVD and then use the HMC DVD as a ftp source.​

Coming soon will be the ability to IPL _and_ install directly from the HMC DVD
drive.  It'll be a slow as !@$$ but it won't require an installation server
somewhere.  You'll still need to connect _into_ the system over the network to
complete the install (via SSH or VNC) of course.  Even that could be avoided if
you set up a custom DVD that points to an autoinst.xml file on the DVD itself
and use VNC as the installation method.  Completely unattended install without
a net. :)

Actually, the capability to IPL from the HMC has been there for quite some time. The capability to restore from DVD has been there not so long, but still for quite a while (since z/OS V1.13 GA in 2011, if I recall correcly). However, that installation process via standalone restore is in place only for the Customized Offerings Driver (COD) system, and not for a regular z/OS ServerPac installation.

The HMC DVD-based installation for the COD was *much* faster than we thought it would be. We'd projected something like 8 hours, and it wound up taking something closer to two. (We...well, I...forgot to account for the effects of compression on the data rate, and system software libraries are very compressible on the average. Blush.)

Of course, once the COD installation is done, you have z/OS running and available to install a "real copy" of z/OS in the usual ways. One of those ways is from DVD, but requires using a workstation as an FTP source; using the HMC's DVD drive for this is not supported unless using the HMC as an FTP source is supported, which I don't know.

Finally, if you want to put dump files of your own on DVD and restore from them using the HMC's DVD drive, I suggest you put in a requirement using RFE.

--
John Eells
IBM Poughkeepsie