Wow!

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Ed Jaffe
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2016 2:08 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: How expensive is AMODE switching?

On 5/4/2016 1:49 PM, Jerry Callen wrote:
> Before I sit down and write a test program to time it, can anyone tell me how
> expensive the AMODE switching instructions are (SAM31/SAM64)?

Our zHISR benchmark averages the time required to switch from 31-bit mode to
64-bit mode and back again, back-to-back. (It does not time the case where the
target mode is the same as the current mode.)

The result here suggests that a 'SAMnn' instruction is approximately equal to
34 'L' instructions on a z13s. YMMV.